Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Specter of Death- Part 25

            "Doctor Tynesdale?” Kim shouted. “Can you hear me?”
Without waiting for a reply, Angela grabbed her bottle of water and doused the unconscious man’s face. Sputtering, Phillip Tynesdale blinked twice then massaged his forehead before speaking.
            “My apologies, ladies,” he muttered. “I don’t know what came over me. A sudden dizzy spell. If you would be so kind as to hand me my bag … I should check my blood sugar levels.”
Gillian retrieved the doctor’s bag and helped him dig through the papers and files to retrieve his glucometer kit. She inserted the test strip into the machine and, because Dr. Tynesdale’s hands were trembling so severely, she pressed the lancet into his finger. Taking over, Dr. Tynesdale pressed on the tiny puncture to produce a drop of blood and applied it to the test strip.
            “No wonder,” Kim gasped. “Sixty-three is way too low! How long has it been since you last had a meal?”
Embarrassed, he pulled a small snack from his bag and ate it.
            “That should hold me until I can get some lunch. In fact, I think we all need a lunch break. If one of you lovely ladies will drive, lunch is on me.”
They piled into Kim’s car and she took them to one of her favorite lunch spots.
****
On the other side of town, Bill and Detective Sanchez were pulling into the Inner Sanctum’s parking lot.
            “I’m surprised they’d pick a spot in this part of town,” Sanchez muttered. “Guess they couldn’t find a building on the nicer side.”
            “No, I’d bet this was a deliberate choice. One, they’re less likely to have anyone prying.” Bill replied. “Two, they have plenty of access to people who are down on their luck. Isn’t that what most cults do? Prey on the easiest targets?”
            “Hmm, good point.” She said, smiling. “Well, we should probably get in there. Remember, in there, I’m just Gabriella not Detective Sanchez, okay?”
She slid out of the car at the same time as her passenger. Bill waited until they fell in step next to each other.
            “Sure thing, Gabby.”
Bill grinned at the detective’s scowl. She threw a playful punch at his shoulder then shocked him by snuggling up against his body.
            “It’ll look less conspicuous if we pretend to be a couple,” Gabriella whispered in Bill’s ear.
            “Anything you say, sweetie.” He chuckled.
Hand in hand, they crossed the threshold into the Inner Sanctum. 

**** I will be spending next week with my family to celebrate Thanksgiving. Since it is highly probable that my nephews and niece will be keeping me busy, I plan to post the next installment of Specter of Death on Tuesday, December 1st. (assuming the zombies don't rise up) Happy Thanksgiving!! 

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful, enjoy your family time and have a great filling Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete